10 Ways to Make Your House More Salable
1. Get rid of clutter. Throw out or file stacks of newspapers and magazines.
Pack away most of your small decorative items.
Store out-of-season clothing to make closets seem roomier. Clean
out the garage.
2. Wash your windows and screens to let more light into the interior.
3. Keep everything extra clean. Wash fingerprints from light switch plates.
Mop and wax floors. Clean the stove and refrigerator.
A clean house makes a better first impression and convinces
buyers that the home has been well cared for.
4. Get rid of smells. Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking
odors, smoke, and pet smells. Open the windows.
5. Put higher wattage bulbs in light sockets to make rooms seem brighter,
especially basements and other dark rooms. Replace
any burnt-out bulbs.
6. Make minor repairs that can create a bad impression. Small problems
such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking,
or a dripping faucet may seem trivial, but they'll give buyers the
impression that the house isn't well maintained.
7. Tidy your yard. Cut the grass, rake the leaves, trim the bushes, and
edge the walks. Put a pot or two of bright flowers
near the entryway.
8. Patch holes in your driveway and reapply sealant, if applicable.
9. Clean your gutters.
10. Polish your front doorknob and door numbers.
10 Ways to Make Your Home Irresistible at an Open House
1. Put fresh or silk flowers in principal rooms for a touch of color.
2. Add a new shower curtain, fresh towels, and new guest soaps to every
3. Set out potpourri or fresh baked goods for a homey smell.
4. Set the table with pretty dishes and candles.
5. Buy a fresh doormat with a clever saying.
6. Take one or two major pieces of furniture out of every room to create
a sense of spaciousness.
7. Put away kitchen appliances and personal bathroom items to give the
illusion of more counter space.
8. Lay a fire in the fireplace. Or put a basket of flowers there if it's
not in use.
9. Depersonalize the rooms by putting away family photos, mementos, and
10. Turn on the sprinklers for 30 minutes to make the lawn sparkle.
5 Ways to Speed Up Your Sale
1. Price it right. Set a price at the lower end of your property's realistic
2. Get your house market ready for at least two weeks before you begin
3. Be flexible about showings. It's often disruptive to have a house ready
to show on the spur of the moment, but the more
often someone can see your home, the sooner you'll find a seller.
4. Be ready for the offers. Decide in advance what price and terms you'll
5. Don't refuse to drop the price. If your home has been on the market
for more than 30 days without interest or 90 days
without an offer, be prepared to lower your asking price.
20 Low-Cost Ways to Spruce Up Your Home
Make your home more appealing for yourself and for potential buyers
with these quick and easy tips:
1. Trim bushes so they don't block windows and cut down on light.
2. Buy a new doormat.
3. Put a pot of bright flowers (or a small evergreen in winter) on your
4. Put new doorknobs on your front door.
5. Put a fresh coating on your driveway.
6. Edge the grass around walks and trees.
7. Keep your garden tools out of site.
8. Be sure kids put away their toys.
9. Buy a new mailbox.
10. Upgrade your outside lighting.
11. Use warm, incandescent light bulbs for a homey feel.
12. Polish or replace your house numbers.
13. Clean your gutters.
14. Put out potpourri or burn scented candles.
15. Buy new pillows for the sofa.
16. Buy a flowering plant and put in a window you pass by frequently.
17. Make a centerpiece for your table with fruit or artificial flowers.
18. Replace heavy curtains with sheer ones that let in more light.
19. Buy new towels.
20. Put a seasonal wreath on your door.